Thursday, December 11, 2008

CHANGE IS GOOD......JUST DO IT

Action - The Critical Ingredient For Achieving Anything in Life

By Joi Sigers

Action. What do you think of when you hear or read the word action?
If you're like my husband, you probably think of action movies - James Bond, Batman, Jason Bourne and Max Payne may all spring to mind.
As someone who collects motivational quotes and does a great deal of "Self Help" writing, however, the first think in my mind when I hear or read the word action is a great quote by the great John F. Kennedy. "Things do not happen; things are made to happen." I also think of another word... vital.
One of the things that perplexes me most in the whole world is the number of people who have skill, talent, and good old-fashioned "know how," yet never seem to get out of the batter's box. They have the talent to carry them to first, second, and third base and the skill to carry them home. But, frustratingly enough, they stay in one place watching the game go on without them. They watch others run the bases and think, "I could do that." Some are even certain that they could do it better. Yet, there they stand - as though their shoes were nailed to the ground.
It's something that puzzles me so much that I've actually spent hours thinking about it. I simply know far too many people who should be... who could be... setting the world on fire in their prospective fields. They're built to be stars, not spectators! Which is why I've tried so hard to get my mind around the mystery of people who can but won't.
I've decided that there are three groups of people who fall into this category.
1. There's the group who are afraid to fail. I know a few who are perfect examples of this one. They have so much pride in their reputation and in their "name" that they're frozen with fear. They seem to think that if they try something new and "fail," people will think less of them and/or their peers will laugh at them. 2. Others are too comfortable to make a move. A lot of people stand still for one reason, alone. Taking a step out of their comfort zone would require more energy than they're willing to part with. 3. The rest simply don't know to take that first step. I think that, probably, more people fall into this group than the other two.
Possible Solutions:
Of course just knowing the problem areas doesn't really solve anything, does it? We actually have to figure out ways to move from here to there.
Let's take each and see if we can come up with any steps that'll lead in a better direction.
First of all, the group who is afraid to fail. I can understand this one, actually. The fear of being looked at as unsuccessful isn't very appealing. But a lot of it comes down to the individual's own attitude. When someone tries something and isn't successful, the way they're perceived by others is often dictated by their own attitude. For example, if they start pointing fingers or madly making excuses, they're not going to come off so well. But if they stay positive and acknowledge the experience as a learning curve, people will be able to relate to them - and even respect them.
Second of all, the people who are too comfortable to be moved. While I can relate to the first group, I can't even begin to relate to this group. I just can't imagine not ever wanting better, not from life - but from yourself. I'm all about pushing myself as far as I can, just to see what I can learn to do. Granted, I find plenty of things I can't even come close to doing (more things than I care to admit, actually!) but I also find things that I somehow manage to learn. Sometimes having a hard head can serve a person well. When their head is hard enough and their will strong enough, they stay in the fight until they've licked whatever it is they're up against.
I think that may be where the solution lies for our comfort-seeking friends. They have to light a fire under themselves and determine to push themselves further and demand more from themselves. They have to realize that if they never move and never grow - they'll become as stagnant as well water,
Third of all, we have the group who simply don't know HOW to take that first step. Some simply give up, while others do so much research that their to do list never gets done. It simply gets covered up with research!
Don't get me wrong, researching information is a glorious thing. I'm turned on by research almost as much as I am by the Starbucks logo. I spend hours each day researching someone, someplace, and or something. But when reading about things takes the place of doing things, it's time to re-evaluate where you are and where you're NOT going..
One of the best pieces of advice I can offer to someone who falls into group 3 is this: Find someone who has done what you're desiring to do and ask them the following question, "What were your first three steps?" Most people are, at heart, extremely helpful - especially when you're interested in them. If they've accomplished something you want to accomplish, they'll be extremely flattered by the situation. So much so that you're certain to get 3 very detailed "first steps."
Finally, I just want to give one small example of a sure fire approach. When I was a little girl, I played in a softball league. I was the youngest and smallest on the team, so they figured the safest spot for me was behind the plate - as the catcher. They felt that if the "runt" was behind the plate, she wouldn't get into any trouble. The problem was, I wanted desperately to be the pitcher. However, the coach had a pitcher he was pretty partial to: His daughter! Plus, he kept telling me that I was so "tiny" that I'd be better off covered with the catcher's equipment (which I hated with a passion!).
When August came, something happened between the coach and his wife. They ended up going their separate ways, and his daughter left with the mother. At our next practice, the coach asked us, "Who knows how to pitch?" I said, "I can pitch." Never mind the fact I'd never pitched before... details, details.
So, he walked me to the pitching rubber, gave me a ball, and he, himself, assumed the catcher's position. I remember seeing my mom in the stands looking at me like, "What in the world are you doing there, you've never pitched before?!" I smiled at her and then just did my best.
I through 5 or so pitches before he announced to everyone, "We have a pitcher."
I never had to go behind the plate again. I was 8 that summer and continued to pitch for 10 more years, throughout my softball career.
Sometimes, you just simply have to jump in with both feet (and arms). You never know what you can do until you put yourself in the position to sink or swim.... fly or fall.... pitch or catch.
Nolan Bushell put it like this, "The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It's as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few who decide to do something about them now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today."
As someone once said, "Self isn't something one finds, it's something one creates." Self Help Daily would love to help YOU create a masterpiece!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Joi_Sigers

No comments: