Friday, May 07, 2010

Success? You need To Know Nothing Else But These Two Principles

BY BARRY SARNER

I started reading personal development books over 30 years ago. I know now that they all say the same thing 3 million different ways and the same exact thing 6 million ways. . . . And even better than that I know the authors become rich trying to teach all of us how to be rich.I am also a great believer that change is good

All these books and speaking events keep you feeling powerful and invincible for at least a week after you finish the book or after the event that you paid the $100 to hear someone tell you to think positive thoughts. You know, and I know, that your reality knows exactly when to jump back in and have you twist and shout.

Regardless of all this, and now you'll think I'm definitely certifiable, you need to keep doing it. Be discriminating, but continue reading and listening. The major point, and possibly the biggest life changing point to remember, is that you "JUST NEVER KNOW".

You never know how that one word , that one sentence, the one way someone says something a little differently, even after you heard it a dozen times, you never know what it will open up for you.

That flashpoint or Aha moment could change the direction of your whole life. That's why I keep reading and searching.

I always felt that I should keep reading and asking questions because otherwise I would never know if something I read or heard would be powerful enough to change my life. My biggest and most impactive moment was when I read the following excerpt from "Good To Great" By Jim Collins:

"You must maintain unwavering faith that you can and will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties, AND at the same time have the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

In my opinion this principle should be the cornerstone of your success journey and all the elements that are used should be built around this principle.

It's so simple but so powerful. . . . . .If you want to succeed, you need to cultivate your ability to do these two HARD things at the same time:

1-Stay firm in your belief that you will prevail in the end (HOPE)
2-Confront the brutal facts around you. Deal with your Reality.

I believe it impacted me in a ginormous way because it said to me:

1-You don't have to feel great all the time on your success journey. You don't have to be positive 24/7
2-Everyone has tough times and to be successful you need to push through the darkness. You're not the only one getting your butt kicked.
3-It's ok to be afraid and sad but you have to admit it and move through it.
4-If you believe and maintain Hope in every part of your body and mind you can make it to the other side.

Did you have that one event, one word or one situation that set off the fireworks that lit up the darkness and moved you on to the road of success ?

We would love to hear about it . . . . .

Good Luck

Best wishes now and forever
Barry

No comments: